CBR: since 1948 working for Brazilian Radiology
The Brazilian College of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging (CBR) is a national entity, affiliated with the Brazilian Medical Association (AMB), which represents radiology and imaging specialists. Among the main objectives of the entity are to disseminate scientific knowledge, defend the specialty, stimulate professional development and ground the principles of excellence of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging methods and procedures.
Founded in 1948, today the CBR has 27 affiliated regional societies, distributed in all regions of the country, and has about 10,000 associate radiologists.
Part of AMB's Scientific Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, it is a non-profit, educational, scientific, cultural and social civil association. Together with AMB, it awards specialist titles and certificates of practice through annual assessments, making it necessary for professionals to prove their theoretical and practical knowledge, thus enabling a higher level of excellence for Radiology in Brazil. . The College's associate physicians perform diagnostic and treatment activities using one or more of the following methods:
Splanchnic and peripheral Doppler
Conventional and specialized radiology
Vascular and interventional radiology
The foundation of the CBR took place on September 15, 1948, on the occasion of the 1st Brazilian Day of Radiology, held at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of São Paulo (FMUSP), by professors Rafael de Barros, José Maria Cabello Campos, Carlos Osório Lopes , Adelaido Ribeiro, João Baptista Pulchério Filho and Walter Bomfim Pontes. The event brought together radiologists from around the country and was created to promote, represent, coordinate activities, integrate, regulate and professionalize radiology specialists.
In 1949 the CBR won its first headquarters, located at Rua Sete de Abril, central region of the city of São Paulo. At the time, CBR assumed the presidency of the São Paulo radiologist José Maria Cabello Campos, responsible for the first management of the entity, and, at the same time, Rafael de Barros was nominated for First Honorary Member of the College.
In 1950 the CBR was made official, being registered as a company with legal personality, in the Office of Titles and Documents of the 3rd Office of São Paulo. Already in 1951 the CBR was headquartered at Rua Marconi, 94, in the center of São Paulo and was declared a state public utility by Decree No. 1,268 / 1951. In 1953 the College already had 150 members, a number that, year by year, grew and offered to the entity an important representation in the medical area.
In the pursuit of quality service delivery, since 1992 CBR has developed the qualification programs in Mammography, Ultrasonography, Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance. Each composed of a National Quality Commission which, after a series of evaluations and surveys, grants the Quality Label in the specific area and the CBR Certificate of Qualification.
Throughout its history the CBR has devoted itself to the struggles of the medical class and the professional updating of its associate members. The trajectory of the entity was and continues to be built through the work of radiologists from all over the country, who have dedicated themselves to the institution, whether composing the boards of each management or collaborating spontaneously in scientific and professional defense activities.
CBR has always been behind the development of the specialty, which has moved from being a part of the health care process to becoming one of its most important areas. Today Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging is fundamental in the diagnostic and healing processes developed by other medical specialties and the College is proud to be part of this success story.